Back when I was starting out with 3D modeling, there wasn’t that much resources to help me in my endeavor. But those that are starting out today are very fortunate to have a lot of resources and aids to help them progress much faster in their studies.
Digital Emily is a project that is based on an actual person (3d scanned). Notice that the left and right side of the face are not identical (asymmetrical). Very often when we model from scratch, it’s symmetrical (mirrored) to speed up the process, but in real life very few people have symmetrical faces. Do an image search on “photo symmetrical celebrities” and you’ll see how strange and bizarre well known celebrities look when you turn their asymmetrical into symmetrical. This is something to consider when seeking to capture the likeness of a well known person.
This one is from MB-Lab, and it’s base is not meant to be hyper realistic. However, it’s a good base to start with! This is a plugin for Blender that can create a full figure, with many parameters to change the look of the character. It’s also poseable.
- Human Base Mesh by Vidar
- Base Meshes @ polycount
- Base Mesh (Male) by angelaxiotis
- Default Human – Base Mesh by Alin Bolcas
- Stylized Female Modular Base Mesh by Toto Ditrani
- Stylized Male Modular Base Mesh by Toto Ditrani
- Style Female Body Basemesh by Ahyo (Doomlord)
- Head – Stylized Female Base Mesh by Walter Leon
- Free ZBrush Female Base Mesh
- Female base mesh by cgfarmer
- Poseable Female Base Mesh by sculptor_dad
- Chibi Style Body Base Mesh by the_gakabox
- Male BaseMesh by Guillaume Mahieu
- Bust Base Mesh for Likeness Sculpting by EA Yee
- Base Mesh optimized for Facial Rigging by Loïc Pinsard
- Human Anatomy Study: ZTL + OBJ by Tom Newbury
This post will be updated with more links as I come across them.